Friday, August 28, 2009

Day one with Diana



Wow, what a morning. We met Diana (Anna Beth) this morning. After a meeting with the orphanage director, the social worker, and the head tutor, we were introduced to her. After several anxious moments, she was wooed by the Cheerios. We then spent the better part of two hours going back and forth between melt downs and quite play. She is very quite, shy and reserved. When she gets too much to handle, the first thing that pops out is the bottom lip.



If, after several deep breaths, she is still overwhelmed, the melt down occurs. Both Leigh and I were able to comfort her, and to get her back interested in the toys and such, but I know as stressful as it was for me it had to be so much more for her. Here are a few pictures from the morning. As always we don't know when we will have access for more updates, but they will come as they can. I leave you with today's devotion from “My Utmost for His Highest” John 14:27 “Peace I leave you with, My peace I give to you...” If you have ever been troubled or not at peace, have you turned to Jesus? Have you laid it all at his feet? Today we step out on Faith once again that our little girl with a broken heart will be given the chance to dream her dreams. With nothing but the faith that we are caring for His child, we press on to make her ours.

Bryan and Leigh Noon day 1


We are writing these each day, not only to share with you but journal for ourselves and for Anna Beth. Because we don't have internet access you will see all of this at once, and it will read much like the roller coaster this week has been.


After praying over John 14:27 we returned to the orphanage for another visit. This time we took a different approach and were a little more in command of our plans. We first asked to visit with Diana in her group. They brought her to us anyway by herself. After a nice visit with the Speech Therapist, and again with the doctor, we got to the business of trying on some new clothes. She seemed to really enjoy that. Then we got permission to video her playing with the other members of her group outside.
There was a lengthy delay as the caregivers decided the kids needed to change into some nicer play clothes if they were going to be on TV. When finally outside with her group Diana seemed to play well with others. We watched as she ran, and climbed, and laughed like a normal two year old should. She was very happy when in contact with her caregivers and playmates, and seemed to always be watching over her shoulder to make sure we were watching. (Though she still wouldn't get close to us.) After playtime we got to go to her room, a very nice room by any orphanage standard, I might add, we got to watch as she showed us her locker, and how to take off her outside shoes and put on her inside shoes. She showed us where her bed was, and even where the potty was. As we left we told her “Paka” or goodbye and she waived bye.
Leighbo types. We had a much better dinner and some down time, and fortunately due to my overuse of my “Charmin to go” clogging the toilet, we were moved to a muuuch nicer room in the hotel. As I went to bed I picked back up the devotion and went back to the scripture reference. I wanted to read the whole chapter and lost it again when I got to verse 18. I totally forgot that is where that was “I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.” WOW. Just when we think we can't take it anymore, when we don't know what to do, don't know what to pray, there it is. Just seek Him and His word. God knows me well enough that He just about has to knock my knees out from under me to get my attention. Well, my knees are a little sore this evening, but Bryan and I have peace that can only come from above. This whole adventure is not about Bryan and Leigh, or even about soon to be Anna Elizabeth Cordill, but about choices and life and stepping out of our comfort zone when we are called. I think this kid is gonna be our toughest assignment yet and some days are going to be tough. She has a lot to overcome for just a short time here on this earth. But I pray for us all because where there were two, there are now three.

No comments:

Post a Comment